This was straight up delicious.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons lime juice (juice about 3 limes)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon finely grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon serrano chili, thinly sliced (should be one chili)
- 36 large shrimp (2 pounds)
- cooking spray
- 2 unpeeled, halved avocados
- 2 peeled mangoes, cut into 6 wedges
- 12 lime wedges
- 6 large Bibb lettuce leaves
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve 3/4 cup juice mixture. Stir carrot and chile into remaining 1/4 cup juice mixture, and set aside.
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact. Starting at tail end, butterfly each shrimp, cutting to, but not through, backside of shrimp. Combine reserved 3/4 cup juice mixture and shrimp in a large bowl, tossing to coat; cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Remove shrimp from bowl, reserving marinade.
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat.
- Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Take off heat. Cool slightly.
- Thread 3 shrimp onto each of 12 (10-inch) skewers. Place shrimp on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill shrimp 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until done, basting frequently with cooked marinade.
- Cut 3 avocado halves in half lengthwise; peel and dice remaining avocado half. Brush cooked marinade over mango and avocado wedges; coat with cooking spray. Arrange in a single layer on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Coat lime wedges with cooking spray; place on grill rack. Grill fruit 2 minutes on each side or until marked but not soft, basting frequently with marinade.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf on each of 6 salad plates; top each leaf with 2 mango slices, 2 lime wedges, and 1 avocado wedge. Place 2 skewers on each plate; sprinkle evenly with diced avocado. Serve with carrot mixture.
- Enjoy! But like why wouldn’t you?